Wednesday, July 11, 2007

You May Kiss the Bride(s)

I'm off to Florence today to play best man at my dear friends Alison and Andrew's wedding. Set in a 'secret' castle high in the Florentine hills, I'm expecting the most romantic hitching I've ever seen. Accordingly I've put huge pressure on myself to get the speech right and fufill the best man duties diligently. Yet I find it achingly hard to write for people I love and care about so much. I think, I hope, I'm about there - managing to steer clear of cliche, bawdiness and false sentiment. I'll let you know.

Osama Bin Laden's son, it transpires in todays's press, has also tied the knot (ooops, there's the cliche) . To a 51 year old mum from Cheshire no less. Now there's a speech I would have loved to have written for Daddy:

"...so today I say, I have not so much as lost a son, but gained an infidel..."

Bet her parents are overjoyed.

2 comments:

Mat Morrison said...

send my love and best wishes to the bride & groom

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.